Monday, January 21, 2013

Ephesians 6:1 in practice

As any normal 2 year old, Ethan provides me lots of opportunities to talk about obedience. The other day he wanted to go paint while his lunch was in the oven, so I reminded him that we only had about 15 min to go downstairs and paint, and then we needed to come upstairs again and get lunch. His attention span for painting is about that anyway, so I didn't think we'd have a problem.

He was finished with painting when I heard the oven timer go off so I told him it was time to go eat, and he immediately started telling me that he still wanted to play downstairs. We went back and forth a few times and just when I was going to stop the conversation and tell him it was time to go upstairs he stopped arguing and thought for a second. Then he said, "Ephesians 6:1, Children, obey your parents in the Lord for this is right. Ok, mom. I will obey you. Let's go upstairs." And he started up the stairs.

Wow, they really do understand more than we adults sometimes give them credit for. I know it hasn't fully sunk in what obedience means and why it pleases God when we obey, but he's getting what he's able to at this point. And I know that he will keep providing me plenty of opportunity to talk about it :)

No comments: