Wednesday, March 30, 2011

stories

I need to document some of these stories before I forget them. Ethan's level of comprehension is really surprising me lately. He now signs "more", "milk", "water", "eat", "all done", and "please". I had done "please" a few times with him and he watched me but didn't do it himself. Then a few days had gone by and I hadn't shown him so when I asked him to say "please" I didn't expect him to do so, but he did! I was so excited I jumped up and gave him a kiss and we ran to show daddy. Then just yesterday I was feeding him lunch. I was slicing a clementine and he was watching me, then looked at me and signed "please" without prompting! What a sweet boy!

One day a few weeks ago Ethan was goofing off and laying his head on the ground. I kept saying "sleepy baby" when he would put his head on the ground and we both thought the game was pretty funny and silly for a bit, then he went on to other interesting things. Several hours later when Steve was done with work I wanted to see if Ethan would remember it and show daddy. I said, "Ethan, are you a sleepy baby?" and he laughed and put his head on the ground. How funny, I was really surprised that he'd remember our game from earlier that day.

We have several books that have animals, plus animal toys around the house. We'll point to each animal and say "monkey, ooo, ooo" for example and he does his best to repeat the sounds that the animals make. Lately he's been the one picking out the animals and making their sounds all by himself. At the doctor's office they had some monkey stickers on the walls and he'd point and say "ooo, ooo" until I looked and saw that there were indeed monkeys and he was right. And lately he'll flip through magazines and coupons laying around the house and find a dog and say his doggie sound. It ends up being a mix between buh and vuh sound, but he's trying to mimic our woof sound. Also our friends have a dog, and although he's pretty skittish around the dog he's fascinated by it and points and says his sound and seems really proud of himself to be pointing it out to everyone that there's a dog in the room. So fun to see him really get it.

No comments: