Sunday, August 14, 2011

book review - My Foolish Heart

My Foolish Heart by Susan May Warren

As I was looking through the reading list for the program, I came across this one by Susan May Warren. I've never read any of her books before, so I read the short bio on the author and realized that she lives along the North Shore of Minnesota, and sets many of her books in fictional cities along the North Shore as well! I just vacationed up there this summer so I was excited to read a book that takes place in my new home state. I loved the town that we visited while on vacation, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised to know that she based the fictional town of Deep Haven there.

The book is about Issy Presley, a 20-something young woman who is doing her best to cope after a tragic car accident took the life of her mother in front of her eyes, and left her father, the beloved high-school football coach, paralyzed and living in the town's care center. One summer day a young man moves next door, Caleb Knight. He moves to Deep Haven with high hopes for the future of the struggling football program. Little does the town know though that their potential football coach is struggling to find a new life to lead after an accident in Iraq took his leg and many of those in his unit. Not too hard to see that a romance soon buds between Issy and Caleb as he helps her heal from her tragedy.

This book was very much a part "You've Got Mail" and a part "Facing the Giants". I definitely found myself giggling as the characters developed their relationship, it was a definitely cute read and story to follow. I enjoyed the sub-plots between the supporting characters equally as much as the main story line, if not even more and wanted to know more about their lives. I laughed at many of the Minnesota-isms in the book too. If you know people that live up here it seems pretty true to small-town Minnesota life, annual walleye festivals, love of high-school football, etc. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a classic boy meets girl, they drive each-other crazy at first, but you really know that they are bound to end up together story line :)

I took a short break from the reading list to read a few that were off the list but I've had on my hold list at the library for quite a while. If you're counting, this is my 4th review for Tyndale's Summer Reading program. I've got one more to read and review by the end of the month... do you think I can make it??

No comments: