Monday, June 16, 2008

What's your experience?

This was kind of funny, but I think it's sometimes true. We were out at a local sports bar/wings place on Friday night. Steve had a craving for wings :) So we get there and it isn't really busy, but there are two large groups or so keeping the waiting staff running around. We order and then sit down at a table that's still dirty. I let Steve know that I'll catch someone and ask if they'll wash our table down. During the more than 30 minutes that we wait for our food I tried several times to catch a few of the girls' eyes that walk by our booth. I actually was sticking my head out of our booth at one point saying "excuse me maam..." as she walked briskly by. I wasn't too pushy, they were busy and I knew that eventually the person who brought out our food could be asked, but I tried a few more times to catch someone's eye who wasn't carrying hot food. Then as one guy walked by, he looked right at me and I pounced. He was quick to bring out a wash rag and wipe down our table. We were appreciative.

I noted to Steve that it was kind of funny that I couldn't get this one girl's attention during several tries, but I was able to catch a guy. Then, after a few more minutes we noticed that some people who sat down after us got their food, so Steve caught the previously unattentive girl and asked her if she could check on our wait time. She said she would, and asked him if he would like a refill on his soda. My half empty water glass went unnoticed. Coincidence? I'm just saying... she didn't ask me if I wanted my glass filled. I thought it was funny. Anyone else notice these types of things?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you go to Hooters? LOL! Just kidding! I have definitely had the same experience before... it's all about what they perceive about who will give good tips.

Angela Mellema said...

Haha, really. I wouldn't have even tried in a place like that :) I know, I wasn't surprised that Steve got her attention and I couldn't, but I was surprised that she refilled his drink but not mine...