Friday, June 24, 2011

2nd book review - Her Daughter's Dream

My 2nd review for the Tyndale Summer Reading program.

Her Daughter's Dream
by Francine Rivers

As I stated before, I really liked this series. I was really looking forward to reading the 2nd book, the conclusion to the series. The story picks up with Marta's granddaughter Carolyn, and Hilde's daughter Carolyn. Hilde was treaded roughly by her mother Marta, for fear that treating Hilde gently would cause her to not venture out and make her own way in the world. The story shows how Marta's actions play out in the lives of her daughter and granddaughter. The relationships between each pair of mother/daughters is strained and Marta then has the opportunity to use her godly influence to repair what she can, and set the stage for resolution even if each woman is not ready to seek forgiveness yet.

I enjoyed the story however, like I previously stated, this book deals with several hard topics, rebellion, drug use, etc. The thing that I enjoyed reading though is how God uses the hard things in our lives to grow us and to show His grace through His redemption. Definitely difficult subject-matter at times but a very well-written story. I enjoyed seeing how the characters from the beginning of the first novel came back into the story.

No comments: